Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chili with Wild Rice & Kale Recipe
Who said pumpkin is only for fall? Canned pumpkin is available year-round and chances are you still have a can or two in the back of your pantry from the holidays! This delicious, healthy recipe is the perfect way to use up that lingering can of pumpkin from your pantry. Plus, it’s vegetarian and vegan!
Pumpkin Chili with Wild Rice & Kale
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups gluten-free wild rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 ounces whole white mushrooms , stems removed and chopped into large chunks
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can beans of choice , drained and rinsed
- 5 pinches kosher or fine sea salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (16-ounce) can pure pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5-6 stalks kale
- Pumpkin seeds , for garnish
- Boil the rice in the vegetable stock, lower the heat, cover and simmer until all the broth is absorbed or according to package instructions.
- In a medium soup pot over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté onion until it starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic and stir together.
- Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, salt, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and let the flavors cook together for a few minutes.
- Turn the heat down just a bit and add the pumpkin and the rest of the spices. Stir to combine and let the chili simmer until you’re ready to serve.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Turn the heat off, add the kale, and boil for 2 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- Serve the rice in bowls, topped with the chili, kale, and pumpkin seeds.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.