No-Bake Strawberry Pie
Organic, ripe, juicy strawberries were on sale at my local grocery store the other day so I stocked up and then I meandered through the baking aisle to decide what delicious dessert I’d turn these beauties into. Strawberry cheesecake? No. Strawberry shortcakes? No. And then I spotted out of the corner of my eye, bright red strawberry Jello-O. Hmm… I could work with that.
I decided to opt for a dessert that didn’t include cream cheese or a cake layer or a thick crust. Instead, I opted for a No-Bake Strawberry Pie that truly celebrates the beautiful, fresh strawberry! This pie is made with 3 pints of strawberries and a box of strawberry Jell-O with a bit of Wholesome Organic Sugar in the filling and in the gluten-free pretzel crumb crust (yes, pretzel crust!) to give it just the right amount of sweetness.
Though I haven’t tried any variations of this yet, I have a feeling you could do this with other berries (strain the seeds if using raspberries or blackberries) or peaches. Or you could keep the strawberries and swap the Jell-O for another flavor. Again, I haven’t tried these variations – just throwing out some ideas! If you try any variations of this, let me know if the comments section below – I’d love to know how they turned out.
Oh, and don’t forget that Wholesome is still running its Sweet Relief Baking Pack special. Proceeds from the sale of each Sweet Relief Baking Pack will be donated to Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund (while supplies last), helping provide food to those who need it during this time.
No-Bake Strawberry Pie
- Gluten-free non-stick cooking spray
- 4 cups mini gluten free pretzels
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ plus 1/3 cup Wholesome organic sugar , divided
- 3 pints fresh strawberries , rinsed, dried, and hulled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (3-ounce) box strawberry Jell-O
- Whipped cream and fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Grind the pretzels in a food processor until fine crumbs. Combine with the butter and ¼ cup sugar and press into the prepared pie pan. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Puree 2 heaping cups of strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add to a saucepan with 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and water. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Let boil for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the Jell-O. Let the mixture cool for 30 minutes.
- Cut the remaining strawberries in half and stir into the cooled Jell-O mixture. Spoon into the pie shell, arranging any berries as needed to make sure there are no holes. It looks prettiest if all the berries are turned cut-side down. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Garnish with whipped cream and mint leaves, if desired.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.