Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
My earliest memory of solo baking was to make cinnamon rolls. They came in a tube that you whack on the edge of the counter, the dough pops out, you bake them, and then top with the frosting in a little plastic container that came in the tube with the dough. I am sure you know the very cinnamon rolls I am talking about!
Not exactly from scratch baking but not bad for a 6 year old either. I was so proud to be able to prepare something delicious for my family.
I have since had to give up the quick convenience of using that tube of dough, but have not given up my love for cinnamon rolls.
I can make a pretty darn good gluten free cinnamon rolls from scratch – if I have several hours to devote to the project. But what’s a gal to do when she gets an overwhelming urge for cinnamon rolls and hasn’t got hours to spend baking?
Cheat a little, that’s what! I made some cinnamon rolls using Chebe Cinnamon Roll Mix recently. They make pretty darn good gluten free cinnamon rolls as they are, but what I really wanted was frosted cinnamon rolls. So while the rolls were baking I whipped up an orange cream cheese frosting – this turned pretty darn good cinnamon rolls into really darn fantastic cinnamon rolls!
In less than half an hour, my house smelled like heaven and once again I felt the pride of preparing something delicious for my family.
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 (7.5 ounce) package Chebe Cinnamon Roll Mix
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral flavored oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk or dairy free milk substitute - divided use
- 2 tablespoons butter or dairy free butter plus more for the pan softened - divided use
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest grated
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a standard muffin tin with butter.
- Combine the Cinnamon Roll Mix, oil, eggs, and 2 tablespoons of milk in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Dump the mixture out onto a clean work surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Lay a piece of wax or parchment paper on a work surface, top with the dough, and another piece of paper. Roll into a 12 by 8 inch rectangle. Spread with 1 tablespoon of softened butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and remaining tablespoon of butter until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over dough. Starting with the long side, roll the dough into a log. Slice into 1 inch pieces and place in the prepared pan, cut side down. Bake 16-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from pan immediately and let cool.
- Combine the cream cheese, orange zest, and powdered sugar. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is spreadable. Frost the cooled cinnamon rolls.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.