Gluten-Free Orange “Chicken” Recipe
This Gluten-Free Orange ‘Chicken’ Recipe uses tofu to create a vegetarian chicken substitute for that classic and beloved Asian main dish. This vegetarian alternative is optionally vegan, too (just use maple syrup instead of honey in the tofu marinade).
Gluten-Free Orange "Chicken” Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked rice (I used Calrose rice)
- 4 cups broccoli florets , cut into small-medium pieces
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
For the Marinated Tofu:
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
For the Orange Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1½ cups fresh orange juice
- ¾ cup gluten-free tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Drain and press the tofu and slice it into squares/pieces. Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a glass container and add tofu. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to a few hours.
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or wok, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the minced garlic and sauté until it starts to turn golden brown. Whisk in the arrowroot until it absorbs the olive oil. Whisk in the vegetable stock, orange juice, tamari/liquid aminos, ginger, honey/maple syrup, orange peel, and red pepper flakes, and bring the mixture to a slow boil, then reduce to simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Spray a separate skillet with coconut oil, heat to medium, then add the tofu and just a small amount of the marinade, reserving the rest of the marinade to add into the orange sauce. Cook the tofu until it starts to brown, then flip to brown the other side. Set aside.
- Add the remaining tofu marinade into the skillet/wok with the orange sauce. Add the broccoli florets and bring the heat up to a slow boil. Cover and cook the broccoli for about 5-7 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Spoon some rice into serving bowls, top with broccoli and orange sauce, and then top with tofu and sesame seeds.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.