Gluten-Free Taco Skillet
Most recipes with the word “skillet” in the name are easy. Case in point: this Gluten-Free Taco Skillet recipe. This is an easy and quick weekday dinner, and you can add anything you typically like to add to tacos, such as sour cream, avocado, and salsa.
I made this with ground beef, but it can be made with ground turkey or chicken, as well. The corn tortilla chips are a must! They add the main “taco” element. I used about 1/3 of a 12-ounce bag of Xochitl corn tortilla chips.
I don’t know about you, but I love tacos, I love quick and easy meals, and I love Mexican food – so this dish is a triple threat!
Check out more gluten-free Mexican-inspired recipes.
Gluten-Free Taco Skillet Recipe
- 1 medium white onion , finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 plum or roma tomato , finely diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper , seeded, deveined, and finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet gluten-free taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces Xochitl corn tortilla chips
- Kosher or fine sea salt , to taste
- Black pepper , to taste
- 2 cups grated cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese
- Reserve about ¼ cup of the diced onion and place in a small bowl. Add the cilantro, tomato, and jalapeño. Stir and set aside.
- Heat a large oven proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and the rest of the onion. Cook, breaking up the beef with a spatula, until the beef is browned and the onions are soft, 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess fat from the pan. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the beef mixture, add the water, and stir. Add the tomatoes and beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Gently stir in the tortilla chips.
- Preheat the broiler to high and place the top rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and broil until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the onion cilantro mixture over the top and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.