Gluten-Free Southern Fry’d Chicken
I know it isn’t technically summer yet, but here in Florida it might as well be. May is just as hot as June, and it’s less rainy than July, so here in the Sunshine State May is as good as any month to invite friends over, hang out poolside, and celebrate summer. Now I don’t know about you, but fried chicken is one of those foods that feels like summer to me. You might not cook it outside on a grill, but it’s certainly one of those foods you’ll want to eat outside. Greasy fingers at a picnic table? Yes, please. This Southern Fry’d Chicken recipe will bring you summer vibes, even if it’s not quite summer in your part of the world.
This recipe is made with a Good It’s Gluten Free Southern Fry’d Meal Kit. This kit includes batter, seasoned coating, and gravy. All you have to do is add the chicken. Personally, I like to add a side of mashed potatoes and coleslaw or perhaps some corn on the cob – but the sides are up to you!
Get more gluten-free summer recipes.
Southern Fry’d Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast (3/4 pound each)
- 1 Good It’s Gluten Free Southern Fry’d Meal Kit
- Vegetable oil
- Prepared coleslaw , optional
- Prepared mashed potatoes , optional
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and butterfly them cutting all the way through so you have 4 equal portions.
- Combine the batter mix from the kit with 10 tablespoons of water. Whisk until smooth. Place the seasoned coating from the kit on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Coat the chicken in batter, then dredge in the seasoned coating.
- Add enough oil in a large skillet to come up ¼ inch. Heat over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Heat the gravy in a saucepan or in the microwave. Serve the chicken with gravy and coleslaw and mashed potatoes, if desired.
- The chicken can also be cooked in an air fryer; spray with oil and place in an air fryer preheated to 400°F. Cook for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.