Gluten-Free Breaded Butter Cauliflower
This Gluten-Free Breaded Butter Cauliflower recipe is vegetarian and can be made grain-free if you serve it with chickpeas or grain-free 5-Ingredient Naan. This is a flavorful Indian-inspired dish that is sure to satisfy.
Breaded Butter Cauliflower
For the breaded cauliflower:
- 1 small head of cauliflower , chopped into medium-sized florets
- 1½ cups (144 g) almond flour
- ⅔ cup (85 g) arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- ½ cup (123 g) unsweetened plain dairy-free or regular yogurt
- ½ cup (118 mL) water
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) unsalted butter (vegan/plant butter for vegan friendly)
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) minced garlic
- ½ yellow onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) garam masala seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon (0.75 g) ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon (0.5 g) ground ginger
- 1 (14.5-ounce/410-gram) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (13.6-ounce/400-milliliter) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) pure maple syrup
- Kosher or fine sea salt , to taste
- 1½ cups (290 g) rice, cooked to package directions (optional)
- Chopped cilantro , for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add the yogurt and water and stir until a paste-like batter forms. If you need more water, add it a little bit at a time, but you want the batter to be thick like glue so it sticks to the cauliflower florets.
- Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter, coating all the way and then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the cauliflower for 20 minutes, until the breading starts to turn golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Next, add the garam masala seasoning, turmeric, and ginger and sauté for another couple of minutes. Finally, add the diced tomatoes, coconut milk, maple syrup, and salt. Stir to combine and let it simmer another 10 minutes. If you desire a smoother sauce, you can blend the sauce and then return it to the skillet.
- Right before serving, add the breaded cauliflower to the sauce and gently toss to coat. Serve over rice, if desired, and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Breaded Butter Cauliflower
Amount Per Serving
Calories 724 Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g40%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 293IU6%
Vitamin C 71mg86%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.