Gluten Free Roasted Veggies Party Mix
Can you believe that until a few days ago I had never in my life made a batch of Chex Mix? Even after the new Chex cereals came out making it possible to make it a gluten free recipe, I just had never done it.
I had tasted the iconic party mix in my life. In fact I used to love it. My mother never made it however, and we never had it at home. It just is not the kind of recipe she would make, especially when entertaining. She was a pretty proper British woman and a Gourmet Magazine subscriber so I guess Chex Mix just wasn’t something she would ever consider serving to guests and we didn’t really snack when I was growing up – we had breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner and that was that. This may just be one of the reasons that I am now a serial snacker (no pun intended).
I thought it was high time for me to create a gluten free party mix! I looked up the original recipe and as much as I recall liking it, I felt something a little more sophisticated would be in order. Instead of garlic powder, I used fresh garlic, finely grated and I added even more flavor with fresh rosemary, grated lemon zest and parmesan. I ditched the pretzels, nuts, candies and what-not that people seem to love to throw into the mix and kept it fairly simple. I wanted the mix to complement and highlight the delicious freeze dried veggies.
I expected to like this recipe and I even expected for all the other adults to like it – after all, what’s not to like about garlic, rosemary, lemon, parmesan cheese, carrots, peas, tomatoes, corn and red bell peppers? What I didn’t expect was for the kids to like it, and they didn’t – they LOVED IT! And how great is it to see your kiddos munching down handfuls of veggies?
This is not your mama’s snack mix – assuming your mama actually made snack mix.
Gluten Free Roasted Veggies Party Mix Recipe
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary finely minced
- 1 lemon zested
- 3 cloves garlic finely grated or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3 dashes hot sauce such as Tabasco
- 3 cups gluten free Corn Chex
- 3 cups gluten free Rice Chex
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 (2.25 ounce) bags freeze dried vegetables
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, onion powder, salt and hot sauce, stirring to combine. Pour the Corn and Rice Chex into a large mixing bowl, add the butter mixture and parmesan cheese and stir well to coat the cereal with the butter and cheese. Place the mixture into an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring once or twice while cooking. Let cool and add the freeze dried roasted veggies, stirring to combine.
- Store in an airtight container.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.