Strawberry Rhubarb Nests
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar, divided use
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, stemmed
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (sliced about ¼-inch thick)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachios (omit for nut-free)
- Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the egg whites and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until it starts to form peaks. With the mixer running, gradually add ¾ cup of sugar. Continue to beat on high until the egg whites are stiff and glossy, about 3 minutes.
- Drop the egg whites into 6 mounds on the prepared baking sheet. With the back of a soup spoon, spread the egg whites into circles and create a well in the center with the edges higher than the centers. Bake the nests for 1–1½ hours (depending on humidity) or until the nests are crispy on the outside.
- Put the strawberries in a blender. Grate the zest of the lemon into the blender with a handheld rasp grater (such as a Microplane) and squeeze in the juice. Add ¼ cup sugar and blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan. Add the rhubarb and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft but not mushy.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla until peaks form. To serve, place a dollop of whipped cream in the center of each nest, top with some strawberry rhubarb mixture, and sprinkle with some chopped pistachios (if using).
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.