Quinoa “Mac” and Cheese Bites with Smoked Gouda and Spinach
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces firm silken tofu (the boxed kind, such as Mori Nu)
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 4 ounces shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 2 ounces reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 1 large egg
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess liquid.
- Preheat the oven 400ºF. Grease a 24-cup mini muffin tin with nonstick gluten-free cooking spray. Combine the quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 12 -15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to medium bowl and cool.
- In a blender, process the silken tofu, milk, cheeses, mustard, salt, and pepper until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add the egg and blend again. Fold the spinach and the tofu mixture into the quinoa until evenly combined.
- Scoop the quinoa mixture into the mini muffin tin, filling each cup. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden around the edges and firm on top.
- Cool for 5 -10 minutes. Using a small rubber spatula or knife, carefully loosen the quinoa bites from the muffin tin and transfer to a serving platter
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.