- ½ vanilla bean pod
- 24 ounces (1½ pints) cow’s milk, rice milk, or almond milk (if using cow’s milk, use at least 2% fat)
- 8 ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sugar, or to taste
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
Optional: 1 ounce of your favorite flavored liqueur per mug, marshmallows, and/or whipped cream
- Slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
- Use a knife to scrape out the seeds and transfer them to a medium pot.
- Add the milk.
- Over medium heat, bring up to steaming, stirring frequently to avoid a film from forming on the top. (The film will not form if using rice or almond milk, but stirring frequently helps to ensure even cooking.)
- Once steaming, stir in the dark chocolate until all is melted.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Remove from heat and pour into mugs.
- Garnish with a shot of your favorite liqueur, marshmallows, or whipped cream if desired.
Makes 4 (6-ounce) servings
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.