Celebrate strawberries with this British retro classic, the Arctic Roll. It can be made days ahead, making it perfect for easy summer entertaining!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream or dairy-free ice cream
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Butter or gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- Powdered sugar - for dusting
- Fresh strawberries - for serving
- Mint leaves - for serving
- Chopped pistachios - for serving (optional)
- Let the ice cream soften for a few minutes, then stir the chopped strawberries into it. Place on a piece of parchment or waxed paper and form into a log as long as the length of your jelly roll pan. Wrap and put in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and butter the paper or spray with cooking spray.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on high speed until very pale yellow and doubled in volume, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until fully incorporated. Beat in the vanilla. Spread the batter evenly on the prepared pan – it will be thin. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until set in the middle. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Using the parchment paper, roll the cake into a cylinder, starting at one of the short ends. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Gently unroll the cake and spread evenly with the jam. Place the ice cream log at one end and roll the cake up. Wrap back in the parchment and freeze until serving.
- Unwrap the roll, place on a serving plate, and dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with strawberries, mint, and chopped pistachios.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 389 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Vitamin A 368IU7%
Vitamin C 15mg18%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.
Pingback: 25+Classic British Desserts To Impress Your Guests In 2021
Pingback: 25+Classic British Desserts To Impress Your Guests In 2022