Gluten-Free Lemon Berry Trifle
A trifle is a dessert made with sponge cake often soaked in wine or sherry, custard, and fruit or jelly. There are many variations, from a traditional one topped with syllabub to one that doesn’t include fruit/jelly at all. This Gluten-Free Lemon Berry Trifle recipe is my newest variation of this lovely dessert.
This dessert is made with gluten-free white cake mix from Kinnikinnick, a handful of pantry staples (eggs, vanilla, and vegetable oil), and some homemade whipped cream made with lemon curd for that fresh spring flavor! Use any fresh berries you like – strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
Depending on the size of the trifle/serving bowl you use, there may be some leftover cake. Save this for easy cake pops (recipe to come next month!).
Gluten-Free Lemon Berry Trifle Recipe
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (17.6-ounce) box Kinnikinnick Gluten-Free White Cake Mix
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 (10 or 11 ounce) jar lemon curd
- 3 pints berries of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-12-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the eggs, oil, and water. Add the cake mix and whisk until fully combined. Whisk in the vanilla. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan. (Can be made the night before.)
- When the cake is cooled, flip onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Beat the cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Put the lemon curd in a mixing bowl and whisk in about 1/3 of the cream. Fold in the rest of the cream.
- Combine the berries.
- Spread a thin layer of the lemon cream in the bottom of a trifle bowl or glass serving bowl. Spread a layer of cake squares, followed by cream, then berries. Repeat layers until bowl is filled.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving. Can be made a day ahead.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.