Vindaloo is a popular, flavorful dish from India. This Lamb Vindaloo recipe is not just gluten-free, but Paleo-friendly, too.
- 4 dried chilies de árbol
- 6 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1- inch knob of ginger , peeled
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder , cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup ghee
- 2 medium red onions , finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 10 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 pound yellow potatoes , peeled and cubed
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro , roughly chopped
- Place the chilies in a small bowl or jar and cover with hot water. Soak for 20-30 minutes until re-hydrated.
- Remove any stems from the peppers and place them in a small blender or food processor. Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, cumin, paprika, turmeric, tamarind concentrate, salt, and red wine vin-egar. Blend on high speed until a smooth paste is formed.
- Combine the paste with the lamb in a large mixing bowl and toss well. Cover the bowl and mari-nate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Heat the ghee in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lamb to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until it starts to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the water, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add the curry leaves and bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes to the pot and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, until the potatoes are ten-der.
- Season with sea salt, to taste, then ladle the vindaloo into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 345 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g40%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Vitamin A 396IU8%
Vitamin C 66mg80%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.