Rose Scented Chocolate Mousse
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons coffee
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 5½ ounces bittersweet or dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Whipped cream and chopped pistachios, for garnish (optional)
- Place the sugar and coffee in a small pot.
- Set over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves to make the simple syrup.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large, dry, non-reactive bowl, use an electric hand or stand mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff meringue peaks have formed.
- Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks until slightly frothy, then pour into the top level of a double boiler.
- Cook on medium to medium-high heat and slowly add in the simple syrup, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Continue to cook while stirring constantly for about 20 minutes, or until the egg yolks are thick and ribbon-like.
- Add the finely chopped chocolate and stir to combine.
- Add the rose water ¼ teaspoon at a time until desired taste is achieved.
- Fold in the meringue while the mousse is still hot.
- Pour into serving cups and chill at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- If desired, add a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with chopped pistachios before serving.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.