Gluten Free Store Bought Chocolate Chip Cookies

Store-Bought Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

We took on America’s favorite cookie – the ubiquitous chocolate chip – and tested over 40 brands to find the best GF cookie you can buy!

Who doesn’t love cookies, especially chocolate chip cookies, the quintessential American favorite? The good news is that there are lots of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies on the market today. With so many choices, the challenge is figuring out which brand to buy.

So we tasted over 40 brands to find the very best chocolate chip cookies you can put in your shopping cart. We separated them into two general categories—crunchy and chewy. Then we listed pertinent information like price, ingredients, allergens and nutritional data in two detailed charts to give you a better idea of what you’re getting in every package.

Our Readers’ Favorite GF Cookies

We surveyed our readers to find out what they like about chocolate chip cookies. About 60 percent of you prefer to make your own cookies. The rest of you (40 percent) prefer to buy them.

When purchasing a cookie, the top things you look for are taste (75 percent) and gluten-free certification (59 percent). More of you buy packaged cookies in traditional grocery stores than in natural foods store or online. Fortunately, most brands that made our lists of favorites are readily available in supermarkets. However, to find some of the really great cookies we sampled, you may have to go online. We’ve met these cookies on our travels to natural foods trade shows and at our Gluten Free Food Allergy Festivals across the United States.

We asked whether you prefer soft, chewy cookies or crisp, crunchy cookies. Sixty-five percent of you like chewy cookies; 51 percent prefer crunchy. Some of you said it was hard to decide. On that we agree. It’s easy to love both crunchy cookies and chewy cookies. Fortunately, there are great brands in each category. That’s why we tested both!

Gluten Free & More Chocolate Chip Cookie Survey Results:

Where do you purchase your gluten-free cookies?

Traditional grocery store 76%
Natural grocery store 54%
Online 23%

What’s important to you when buying gluten-free cookies?

Taste 75%
Certified gluten-free 59%
Price 42%
Texture 42%
Availabilty 40%
Does not contain other allergens 32%
Nutrition 29%

Other GF Cookie Product Favorites

A handful of companies now offer ready-to-bake chocolate chip cookie dough that is gluten-free. Some brands are also dairy-free and egg-free. We give these products high marks for taste, texture and convenience. Manufacturers may sell both gluten-full and gluten-free dough, so read labels carefully.

Gluten-Free Cookie Dough

EatPastry Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

This vegan cookie dough is certified gluten-free. It makes wonderful home-baked cookies in a snap. Find it in the refrigerator section of your supermarket.

Immaculate Baking Gluten Free Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough

It’s easy to make classic chocolate chip cookies with these certified gluten-free, dairy-free rounds of cookie dough. Find this product at traditional and specialty grocery stores in the refrigerator section.

Raised Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Use this new allergy-friendly cookie dough to bake up traditional-tasting chocolate chip cookies with no muss or fuss. It’s gluten-free, vegan (dairy-free, egg-free), nut-free and corn-free. Find it in refrigerator section.

Sweet Loren’s Gluten Free Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough

With this vegan place-and-bake cookie dough, you can bake one cookie or all 15. Available in the refrigerator section, we found this at a traditional supermarket at gluten-full pricing. Success!

Authentic Foods Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix

We’ve tried plenty of chocolate chip cookie mixes since going gluten-free and this one continues to be one of our top favorites. It makes soft, chewy cookies filled with thick, melty chunks of semisweet chocolate. This gluten-free mix is corn-free, nut-free, non-GMO and kosher. It can be made dairy-free and egg-free; just use dairy and egg replacements when mixing the batter.

Written by Erica Dermer, originally published in Gluten Free & More.

Tags: Chocolate Cookies
Previous Post

Rice & Tuna Appetizers Recipe

Next Post

Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Breakfast Bars Recipe

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.