Gluten-Free Peppermint Ice Cream Pie
This Gluten-Free Peppermint Ice Cream Pie recipe is made with a layer of chocolate cookies, peppermint ice cream, and chocolate ganache. It’s festive for the holidays and is a nice change of pace from pumpkin pie and other holiday classics.
Peppermint Ice Cream Pie
- 1 (10.5-ounce/298-gram) package gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies (about 21 cookies or 2-2¼ cups crumbs)
- ¼ cup (55 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ quarts (1.42 L) peppermint stick ice cream (see notes)
- 1 cup (240 mL) heavy cream
- 8 ounces (226 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars
- Place the chocolate sandwich cookies in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the cookies become fine crumbs. Mix in the melted butter until all the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumbs into the bottom and up 1 inch of the sides of a 9-inch spring form pan, making sure it evenly coats the bottom of the pan.
- Freeze the crust for 5-10 minutes while the ice cream sits out at room temperature to soften.
- When the ice cream has softened, scoop it onto the crust and use a wooden spoon or off-set spatula to spread it evenly over the bottom. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- When the ice cream has re-frozen, prepare the ganache by adding the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Melt at 50% power for 60 seconds. Stir the chocolate really well, then heat again at 50% power for 30 seconds. Continue to heat at 50% power for 15 seconds (stirring after each time) until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour the ganache evenly over the frozen ice cream base and spread evenly over the top. Freeze at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve (overnight is best, when possible).
- Before serving, let the pie sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes (or until soft enough to cut) before serving.
- Most "half gallon" ice cream containers are now only 1½ quarts. You can also use 3 pints of ice cream.
- This pie will stay fresh up to 3 months. Be sure to keep leftovers tightly wrapped to prevent freezer burn. The best way to do this is to slice and wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap or foil and store in a freezer bag.
Peppermint Ice Cream Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories 462 Calories from Fat 288
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 19g95%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Vitamin A 917IU18%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.