Chinese Salt & Pepper Chicken
Did you just spend a small fortune on a Valentine’s Day dinner or Super Bowl party this weekend? If so, I feel your pain. I’ve been there. It’s times like that I decide to tighten the belt, so to speak, and get back to cooking at home for a while. It saves money, lets you control the ingredients better, and is typically healthier and more wholesome. But what’s a family to do when they are getting hungry and limited on time? How about re-creating take-out favorites at home in under 20 minutes? With this Chinese Salt & Pepper Chicken recipe, you can do just that.
This recipe uses a Good It’s Gluten Free Chinese Salt & Pepper Meal Kit, which contains all the ingredients for the batter, crumb coating, and salt and pepper mix (spoiler: there’s more than just salt and pepper in there and it’s fantastic!). All you have to do is add your protein of choice – chicken, beef, pork, fish, or vegetarian options like tofu or eggplant. You’ll have a delicious meal in under 20 minutes that serves two. Double this recipe if you’re serving a family of four.
Get more gluten-free quick and easy recipes.
Gluten-Free Chinese Salt & Pepper Chicken
- 1 Good It’s Gluten Free Chinese Salt & Pepper Meal Kit
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast , cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 bell peppers , any color, thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil
- Cooked rice
- Microgreens or chopped cilantro , optional
- Combine the batter mix from the kit with 10 tablespoons water. Whisk until smooth. Pour the panko breadcrumbs onto a plate or in a shallow bowl. Coat the chicken in batter, then roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Add enough oil in a large skillet to come up ¼ inch. Heat over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally, or until golden brown and cooked through. While the chicken is cooking, sauté the peppers in a hot pan with a little oil until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and peppers over rice, sprinkle with the salt and pepper mix from the meal kit, and garnish with microgreens or cilantro, if desired.
- The chicken can also be cooked in an air fryer; spray with oil and place in an air fryer preheated to 400°F. Cook for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.