Instant Pot Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Risotto
It seems like a distant memory – making risotto the traditional way. The babysitting, the stirring, the slow addition of broth, the waiting for it to absorb, the repeating. Let’s just say I won’t go back to that method now that I have an Instant Pot. Now, that’s not to discourage those of you who do not have an Instant Pot – risotto is in fact worth the effort because it’s amazing. I’ve included directions for the traditional stovetop method below, so you can make this Instant Pot Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Risotto with or without the Instant Pot. I just prefer the speedier method and I feel quite like a magician when I make it in the Instant Pot.
This recipe combines some of my favorite flavors – the sweetness of butternut squash with the tanginess of goat cheese, plus the savory herbaceous flavor of chive-infused oil. Delizioso! Speaking of Italian, in this recipe I used several products from Pastene, a company that specializes in Italian pantry staples like olive oil, arborio rice, minced garlic, pasta sauce, pasta, and more.
To make the risotto on the stovetop, you’ll need 4-5 cups of warm broth.
In a heavy-duty pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, and nutmeg and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine and cook, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated. Add the squash.
Add enough broth to cover the rice, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until most of the broth has been absorbed. Continue adding broth, about 1 cup at a time, letting the rice absorb the broth each time. Continue until the rice is slightly al dente and creamy, about 25 minutes. Add the cheese and stir vigorously.
Gluten-Free Instant Pot Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese Risotto Recipe
For the risotto:
- 2 tablespoons Pastene Olive Oil
- 1 large white onion , diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , plus more for serving if desired
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 sage leaves , minced
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup Pastene Arborio Rice for Risotto
- ¼ cup white wine or white grape juice , optional – can also use an additional ¼ cup of broth instead
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- ¼ cup Pastene Pine Nuts , toasted
For the chive oil:
- ¼ cup Pastene Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
Make the risotto:
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Heat the oil then add the onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, sage, and nutmeg and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often and scraping up any browned bits. Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the squash and broth.
- Set the Instant Pot for pressure cook on high for 6 minutes. Naturally release for 5 minutes then manually release. Add the cheese and stir vigorously.
- Serve drizzled with chive oil, toasted pine nuts, and a little more pepper.
Make the chive oil:
- Puree the oil and chives together in a blender with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.