Gluten-Free Crispy Chicken Patties & Waffles
This Gluten-Free Crispy Chicken Patties & Waffles recipe is my own play on a cross between chicken and waffles and Nashville hot chicken. Both of which I have always wanted to try and haven’t, so this is my own creation of what I think they would be like and it’s made easier since I made chicken patties instead of traditional fried chicken.
The crispy chicken patties are made with ground chicken, gluten-free panko breadcrumbs (I used Kinnikinnick), egg, mayo, lemon juice, and some seasoning. These are great on their own as well as on top of waffles!
A couple quick notes about this recipe: Hot honey is available at most grocery stores now. The chicken mixture is sticky, so wet hands make life easier. The only trick is to regulate the heat in the pan so that the chicken cooks through and the outside doesn’t get too browned. I like to use an instant-read thermometer whenever cooking chicken to ensure it cooks through.
This recipe is pure comfort food and it’s such a fun one to serve to guests, too – who doesn’t love to hear “we’re having chicken and waffles!”?
Get more gluten-free comfort food recipes.
Gluten-Free Crispy Chicken Patties & Waffles Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup Kinnikinnick Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs , divided
- 1 large egg
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- 4 gluten free toaster waffles
- Hot honey
- Coleslaw or dill pickle slices , for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, ½ cup panko breadcrumbs, egg, lemon juice, mayonnaise, parsley, garlic and onion powders, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the remaining ½ cup panko breadcrumbs into a plate. Have another plate standing by.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into four equal sized patties, roughly the size of the waffles. The mixture will be quite sticky. One at a time, place the patties on the plate with the panko and coat well on both sides, pressing the panko into the chicken patties. They are a little delicate at this point. Place on the clean plate until the rest are formed and coated.
- Line another plate with paper towels. Pour enough oil into a large skillet to come up about ¼ inch and heat over medium heat. Carefully place two patties into the hot oil and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until deeply golden brown and the internal temperature of the patties is 165 degrees. If the outside is getting two browned before the chicken is cooked through, lower the heat. When done, place the cooked patties on the paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining two patties.
- Toast the waffles per the package directions.
- To serve, place one patty on top of each waffle, drizzle with hot honey, and top with coleslaw or pickles. Serve with extra hot honey on the side.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.