Plant-Based Tortilla & Jackfruit BBQ Casserole
This Plant-Based Tortilla & Jackfruit BBQ Casserole is essentially loaded nachos, but I like to call it a casserole because it just feels more like a meal than just nachos. It’s wholesome and filling, and I think that begs for the name “casserole” – don’t you? This is a great way to get kids (or adults) to eat more veggies and is an excellent Meatless Monday dish!
This recipe is not only vegetarian because of the use of jackfruit, it’s also vegan thanks to the use of Loca Plant-Based Potato Queso. This delicious queso sauce is made from potatoes and other veggies and it’s creamy and cheesy and oh-so-good! Unlike many other dairy-free cheeses, this one is not made with nuts. You can serve it as it is with tortilla chips or use it in recipes like this – it’s very versatile. And, it comes in regular or spicy. I used regular for this dish.
Get more gluten-free plant-based recipes.
Gluten-Free Plant-Based Tortilla & Jackfruit BBQ Casserole
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion , diced
- 2 (14-ounce) cans young jackfruit in brine or water, drained
- 1 cup gluten-free barbecue sauce
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 4-5 cups tortilla chips
- 1 (12-ounce) jar Loca Plant-Based Potato Queso
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes , halved
- Salsa , for serving
- Cilantro , for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 12 inch (or similar) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the jackfruit and barbecue sauce, bring to a simmer, and cover. Cook, covered, until the jackfruit is tender, mashing with a potato masher or fork occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and black beans, stir.
- Place the chips in the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with half the queso. Top with the jackfruit mixture then the rest of the queso. Scatter the tomato halves all over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with salsa and cilantro. Serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.