Gluten-Free Irish Brown Bread
With the addition of buttermilk and molasses, this Gluten-Free Irish Brown Bread is a delicious accompaniment to a St. Paddy’s Day feast.
Irish Brown Bread
- 1¼ cups (200 g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup (120 g) sorghum flour
- ¾ cup (75 g) oat flour
- ½ cup (64 g) tapioca starch
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 g) xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups (475 mL) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) blackstrap molasses
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Whisk the buttermilk and molasses together in a separate bowl. Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients, stirring to form a sticky dough.
- Using floured hands, gently knead the dough into a ball. Place the dough on top of the parchment-lined baking sheet. Use a serrated knife to score a cross in the center of the dough.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Irish Brown Bread
Amount Per Serving
Calories 429 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Vitamin A 158IU3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.