Gluten-Free Irish Brown Bread
With the addition of buttermilk and molasses, this Gluten-Free Irish Brown Bread is a delicious accompaniment to a St. Paddy’s Day feast.
Irish Brown Bread
- 1¼ cups (200 g) brown rice flour
- 1 cup (120 g) sorghum flour
- ¾ cup (75 g) oat flour
- ½ cup (64 g) tapioca starch
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 g) xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups (475 mL) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) blackstrap molasses
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Whisk the buttermilk and molasses together in a separate bowl. Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients, stirring to form a sticky dough.
- Using floured hands, gently knead the dough into a ball. Place the dough on top of the parchment-lined baking sheet. Use a serrated knife to score a cross in the center of the dough.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.