Banh Mi Hot Dogs
I love banh mi sandwiches. These delicious sandwiches usually consist of crusty sub rolls smeared with duck liver pate, mayonnaise, pickled carrots and daikon radish, fresh herbs like cilantro, jalapeño peppers, and pork or ham. While banh mi is usually made with pork products, this is a poultry version in hot dog form! That’s right, I used chicken hot dogs in this tasty Banh Mi Hot Dogs recipe.
For the hot dogs, I used Bell & Evans uncured chicken franks. They’re tasty and a great choice for people who don’t eat pork/beef. The duck liver pate can be omitted but it really adds an authentic touch to the hot dogs. These dogs get a refreshing crunch thanks to the quick-pickled daikon, carrots, and cucumber. Fresh herbs are a must, and the jalapeño peppers and Sriracha mayo add a nice dash of spice to this dish.
Get more gluten-free hot dog recipes.
Gluten-Free Banh Mi Hot Dogs
- ½ cup shredded daikon radish
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- Seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ seedless cucumber , thinly sliced
- 2 ounces duck liver pate
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons mayonnaise , divided
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons each fresh mint , basil, and cilantro
- Vegetable oil
- 6 Bell & Evans Uncured Chicken Franks
- 6 gluten-free hot dog buns
- 2 jalapeño peppers , thinly sliced
- Combine the radish and carrot in a small bowl. Add enough rice vinegar to barely cover. Gently toss and let sit. Put the cucumber in a small bowl, add about 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, gently toss, and let sit.
- Combine the pate with 3 tablespoons mayonnaise and stir until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the hot dogs.
- Combine ½ cup mayonnaise with the Sriracha sauce and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Roughly chop the herbs, set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Oil the grates. Grill the hot dogs over direct heat, turning often, until charred and plump, about 5 minutes. Grill the hot dog buns.
- Spread the buns with the pate mayonnaise. Add drained pickled radish and carrots, drained cucumber slices, herbs, and jalapeño pepper slices. Drizzle with spicy mayo and serve the rest on the side.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.