Gluten Free Summer Fruit Galette Recipe
If you have Martha Stewart pastry aspirations yet your baking skills are more Rachael Ray, I have one word for you – galette.
According to Webster’s Dictionary, a galette is defined as:
1: a flat round cake of pastry often topped with fruit
2: a food prepared and served in the shape of a flat round cake
According to me, a galette is defined as an easy way to make pie.
Galettes have a rustic appeal. I love the word rustic; it is a word I use to describe anything that doesn’t look pastry shop perfect. If you say something is “rustic,” then people assume it is supposed to look somewhat homespun and imperfect. Personally, since I am more Rachel than Martha when it comes to the decorative finishing of baked goods, I embrace rustic wholeheartedly!
I brought home an abundance of summer fruits from the market this weekend and the first thing I thought of was pie. But I was too impatient to make pie crust, let it sit in the fridge, roll it out, etc… I wanted pie and I wanted it as soon as possible! So instead of pie, I decided on a galette and instead of making a crust from scratch (and waiting for hours) I used a box of Chebe Bread Mix – mix, roll. fill and bake. As easy as, well…pie. Actually a whole lot easier than pie!
For my galette, I used peaches, plums and cherries but you can use whatever stone fruits you like; apricots would be a lovely addition. I also used the All-Purpose Bread Mix from Chebe, which is dairy free as well as gluten free. I did add just a touch of sugar to the crust (none to the fruit, it was perfectly ripe and sweet enough) but you could leave that out if you want the galette to be sugar free.
This Gluten Free Summer Fruit Galette recipe really lets the gorgeous summer fruits shine! Enjoy.
Gluten Free Summer Fruit Galette Recipe
- 2 pounds peaches 2 or 3 large, skinned, pitted and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds plums 2 or 3 large, skinned, pitted and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pint cherries pitted and halved
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 (7.5 ounce) box Chebe All-Purpose Bread Mix
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs – use divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sanding sugar or other coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the fruit with the lemon juice and zest and let sit while preparing the crust.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Chebe bread mix with the oil, 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of sugar and the water. Mix to combine. The dough may look clumpy; this is okay. Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead for a minute or two until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Form the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper about 15 inches square, top with another piece of parchment and roll into a 14 inch circle; it does not have to be perfect. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and place the bottom piece of parchment and the dough on a baking sheet.
- Using a slotted spoon, pile the fruit onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch border. Fold the dough up over the edges of the fruit, pleating if needed. If there are any holes in the dough, just pinch them closed. Beat the remaining egg and brush over the crust, then sprinkle with the sanding sugar.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the crust is browned and the fruit bubbly.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.
Gorgeous! This is going on my must try list!!!
Galettes are so simple, yet so beautiful! I love this one. And I love seasonal fruit – it’s such a blessing!
Thanks Maggie – I am with you. I can’t seem to resist all these lovely summer fruits!
I like rustic, rustic is good- and delicious!
Let’s hear it for rustic!!!
This looks amazing. I love peach deserts during the summer. I love your blog Carol – I can’t belive how many recipes you have! I seriously can spend all day browsing. I recently started my own blog focused on mostly healthy cooking (mostly gluten free). Check out a similar gluten free desert I made for the 4th of July – Peach Blueberry Crumble: http://www.secretsofafoodie.com/2012/07/peach-blueberry-crumble.html
Looking forward to seeing what you are cookin’ up next!
Sounds great Jacqueline, I am hopping over there now to take a look.
Gluten free can be a challenge when planning a summer time event that includes outdoor grilling or standing around a camp fire cooking your favorites the GF way. I love to read your blog and mostly focused on healthy cooking recipe..I keep on reading. Thanks Carol!
Thank you so much Nancy!
What a stunning & glorious GF galette! Waw! Looks lipsmacking tasty!
Thank you so much Sophie!
Pingback: Gluten Free Summer Fruit Galette Recipe | pinpal.info
Pingback: Healthy Fruit Galette Recipe « Recipes for Health
Pingback: Gluten Free Chocolate Pistachio Galette Recipe | Simply Gluten Free
Pingback: Gluten Free Grain Free Peach Tart | Recipe | Simply Gluten Free