Mascarpone Berry Pie
- Gluten-free non-stick cooking spray
- 2 cups pecans
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided use
- 1 small pinch kosher or sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about ½ an average sized lemon)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (from about ½ an average sized lemon)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 pints assorted fresh berries
- ¼ cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons berry flavored liqueur, such as Crème de Cassis or Chambord (optional)
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Put the pecans, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Then pulse in the melted butter. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the prepared pie pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned and fairly set. It may still be a little soft when it comes out of the oven, but it will firm up as it cools. Cool the crust completely. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone cheese and remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar until smooth. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix.
- In a clean bowl, whip the cream with the vanilla using the whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Take a big scoop of the whipped cream and stir it into the cheese mixture to lighten it up and then gently fold in the rest of the whipped cream. Spoon the mixture into the cooled nut crust. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)
- Just before serving, heap the berries on top of the pie. Stir together the jam and liqueur and drizzle over the fruit.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.