Gluten-Free Vanilla Cookies
These gluten-free Vanilla Cookies are a versatile, holiday-worthy cookie recipe that can be cut into stars or whatever shape you choose. These make perfect gifts for the holidays!
- 1 cup (160 g) brown rice flour, plus more for rolling*
- ½ cup (48 g) almond flour
- ½ cup (60 g) corn flour*
- ½ cup (95 g) potato starch*
- ⅓ teaspoon (2 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter or dairy-free buttery sticks, at room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) light brown sugar
- Seeds scraped from 2 vanilla pods
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1-4 tablespoons (15-60 mL) cold water (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 355°F. Line two 8x11-inch baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, almond flour, corn flour, potato starch, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla seeds together, until a thick paste forms – about 20-40 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and mix until a dough forms, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of water and continue mixing until the dough comes together in a ball. Add more water if the dough is too dry, sandy, and doesn’t come together. The dough should be smooth and a bit wet, but you should be able to handle it with your hands without sticking.
- Turn the dough out onto the lightly floured counter and shape into a disk. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out, about ⅓-inch thick. Cut using a star-shaped cutter and place cookies on the prepared baking trays.
- Bake until lightly golden brown on the edges and aromatic, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely, then dust with powdered sugar and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Tip: These cookies freeze beautifully! Just place them in an airtight container or freezer bag and keep frozen for up to three months.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.