Homemade Queso Dip
There’s no mood or occasion that cheese can’t improve, am I right? This Homemade Queso Dip recipe is perfect for an evening at home with your family or a gathering amongst friends.
Homemade Queso Dip
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes , finely diced
- 1 (4-ounce/113-gram) can green chilies
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 g) onion powder
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) cumin
- ½ teaspoon (1 g) cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon (0.75 g) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (7.5 g) cornstarch
- 1 (12-ounce/354-milliliter) can evaporated milk (regular, not low fat)
- 8 ounces (227 g) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons (7.5 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- Fine sea salt , to taste
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted and hot, add the garlic and sauté 20 seconds to 1 minute or until fragrant. Do not brown.
- Add the diced tomatoes, green chiles, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, and garlic powder to the saucepan. Mix well and cook until the tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes.
- Once the tomatoes are soft, stir in the cornstarch and then whisk in the evaporated milk. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- When the milk has come to a boil and has slightly thickened, turn off the heat. Add the cheese and whisk until smooth. Stir in the fresh cilantro and season with salt, to taste.
- Serve immediately with gluten-free tortilla chips.
• Shred your own cheese from the block. The anti-caking ingredients in pre-shredded cheese may prevent the cheese from melting properly, resulting in a cheese sauce that isn’t smooth.
• Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave. If the queso becomes too thick after reheating, thin it with a little milk, as needed.
This recipe was featured in Gluten Free & More Magazine. Get your subscription to the magazine and never miss an issue!
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.