Gluten-Free Mini Almond Orange Cakes Recipe
These delicious little cakes are made with just 5 simple ingredients (not including salt) and they’re the perfect bite-sized treats for all sorts of occasions. Whether it be to have on hand (freeze some!) for sweet bites, a weekend brunch outdoors on the patio with your closest friends, a baby shower, or some other event – these are a great choice!
The freshness of the oranges and the sweetness of the sugar (I used Wholesome organic sugars) balance beautifully in these mini cakes. Plus, they’re made naturally gluten-free and grain-free thanks to the use of almond flour.
Check out more gluten-free and grain-free recipes.
Gluten-Free Mini Almond Orange Cakes
Servings: 48 servings
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs , separated
- ½ cup Wholesome Organic Sugar
- Finely grated zest of 4 oranges
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1½ cups blanched finely ground almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Wholesome Powdered Confectioners Sugar , for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray two mini muffin tins (24 muffin cups per pan) with cooking spray.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high. Gradually add ¼ cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, the rest of the sugar, the orange zest, and salt. Beat on medium-high until thick and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in the almond flour. Stir in a large spoonful of the egg whites into the yolk mixture then fold in the rest gently. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared muffin tins and bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and they are lightly golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Lightly dust with the powdered sugar.
Gluten-Free Mini Almond Orange Cakes
Amount Per Serving
Calories 34 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 20IU0%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.
Pingback: Tips For Everyday:Gluten-free Dessert Recipes - Tips For Everyday
Can regular muffin tins be used? What adaptions of baking time, etc would be needed? They look delicious! Thanks
Yes, you can make these with regular muffin tins. It will take longer to bake, probably 20-25 mins but start checking at 15 mins and they will be done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. You will probably get 16 total if using regular muffin pans. Let us know how you like them!
These look great. Will they work as regular sized muffins?
Yes, they will! They will take longer to bake, probably 20-25 mins but start checking at 15 mins and they will be done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. With a regular muffin size this will probably make 16 total.
These were amazing! Next, I will try with orange and a bit of lemon zest and poppy seeds, just because! Thank you for sharing!!
Can I use another GF flour substitute than almond flour and if so would the ratio change?
This recipe was formulated with almond flour, so we haven’t tested it with regular gluten-free all-purpose flour or any other GF flour option. Sometimes GF all-purpose flour can be swapped with almond flour, but the result won’t be exactly like the original recipe. I can’t guarantee that it will be a good swap, but if you try it I’d suggest 2 cups of GF all-purpose flour instead of 1.5 cups almond flour (first use 1.5 cups, then slowly add more until the desired consistency is reached). Another suggestion is to cut this recipe in half if you use the GF all-purpose flour, that way if it doesn’t turn out as desired you at least won’t have 48 mini muffins sitting around, you’ll have half that!
Let us know if you try it and if it works for you.