Chocolate Cherry Crispy Rice Treats
A healthier take on Rice Krispie Treats, these Chocolate Cherry Crispy Rice Treats are a delicious little snack for the whole family. Kids will love these and you can feel good about giving them these instead of a pre-packaged treat.
These treats don’t use marshmallow like a traditional Rice Krispie Treat – instead, I’ve turned tradition on its head with SunButter, maple syrup, dried cherries, and chocolate chips. The result is crispy, chewy, and full of flavor. And, they’re nut free, soy free, and optionally dairy free.
Check out more gluten-free SunButter recipes.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Crispy Rice Treats Recipe
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 3 cups gluten-free puffed rice cereal
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅔ cup creamy SunButter
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ cup dried cherries , chopped
- ½ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- Spray an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Line the dish with one piece of parchment paper that hangs over two opposite sides. Spray the paper lightly with more cooking spray.
- Place the cereal in a large mixing bowl. Heat the maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Add the SunButter and salt and whisk until smooth. Pour the mixture over the cereal, stir until fully incorporated and let cool until it feels cool to the touch. Stir in the cherries and chocolate chips until everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and press down evenly and firmly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until fully set.
- Using the parchment paper, pull the mixture out of the pan, place on a cutting board, and discard the parchment paper. Cut into bars and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.