Fast or Slow Green Chile Shredded Chicken
If you’ve been feeling the impact of inflation on your grocery bill, you’re not alone! Gluten-free prepared foods are already more expensive than their conventional counterparts, plus nearly every food and household item out there has increased in price. So, we actually have a special theme for our upcoming January/February 2023 issue of Gluten Free & More Magazine – The Health & Budget Issue. The new year is the time that we focus on health goals but it’s also a time to look at budget goals, so we hope this upcoming issue is helpful to you! That said, we’ve recently been trying to make more budget-friendly, versatile, and make-ahead dishes here at the office for lunches, and this Fast or Slow Green Chile Shredded Chicken recipe is a new favorite here!
This is a super simple, quick way to prepared shredded chicken in bulk. It uses just two ingredients – boneless skinless chicken thighs and Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (plus nonstick cooking spray).
Chicken thighs are not only more flavorful than breasts but also less expensive. And the enchilada sauce makes it flavorful without a lot of fuss or extra ingredients.
This chicken can be used in tacos, salads, soups, burritos, casseroles, and bowls over rice and black beans. It can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, portion into freezer bags, squeeze out any air in the bags, and freeze.
This is a great dish to have on hand for quick dinners or lunches!
Get more gluten-free budget-friendly recipes.
Fast or Slow Green Chile Shredded Chicken Recipe
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 5-6 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (15-ounce) can Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
To cook fast:
- Spray an Instant Pot insert with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken and enchilada sauce in the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, then manually release the pressure. Shred with two forks.
To cook slow:
- Spray a slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken and enchilada sauce in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 6 hours. Shred with two forks.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.