Wintertime means more time spent indoors as well as breathing in cold air, both of which may lead to coughs in the little ones. If your kids are prone to having sore throats, coughs, or just need extra comfort this time of year, I think they’ll love this Cough-Soothing Kinderpunsch.
Kinderpunsch is a traditional warm German punch served at Christmas time. It’s sort of like a non-alcoholic version of mulled wine. The warm juice plus the ChildLife Essentials Formula 3 Cough supplement will sooth coughs while helping to hydrate. Be sure to let the mixture cool to 86 degrees before adding the cough supplement so you don’t destroy the potency of the supplement.
For the juice, I used no sugar added 100% juice, not “juice cocktail” or something like that. I also recommend serving this a good amount of time prior to bedtime if serving it at night, that way the little ones don’t get up too many times in the night for trips to the bathroom!
Get more gluten-free kid-friendly recipes.
- 2 cups no sugar added apple juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups no sugar added grape juice
- 2 cups water
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks , plus more for serving, if desired
- 2 whole star anise , plus more for serving, if desired
- Honey , to taste
- ChildLife Essentials Formula 3 Cough , appropriate doses for 8 children
- Combine the juices with water, cloves, cinnamon, and star anise in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add honey to taste.
- Let cool to 86 degrees F before adding the appropriate dose of Formula 3 Cough for child’s age. Stir well and serve.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.