Rum-Raisin-Nut Apple Pie
Mingle with raisins, walnuts, and warm spices in this double-crust apple pie that’s one of my all-time favorite autumnal apple desserts.
Rum-Raisin-Nut Apple Pie
For the filling:
- ⅓ cup (50 g) raisins
- ½ cup (118. 5 mL) quality rum, optional
- 4 Golden Delicious apples , cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg , to taste
- A pinch of cloves
- A large pinch of kosher salt
- ½ cup (56 g) chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter or butter substitute , such as Earth Balance buttery spread, cut into small pieces
For the crust:
- 2 ⅓ (326 g) cups gluten-free flour with xanthan gum, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tablespoon 12.5 g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Butter or substitute , (150 g) such as Earth Balance buttery spread
- ¼ - ⅓ cup cold water
- 1 egg for egg wash , optional
- Additional sugar , optional
- Soak the raisins in the rum for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain well when ready to use. Set aside.
- Make the crust. In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add the butter or substitute and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. With the machine running on low, add the water in small amounts and pulse just until the mixture begins to hold together. If it is too crumbly, add more water.
- Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap and knead the loose pieces together. Divide the dough into two equal parts and flatten each to a thick disk (about 1 inch thick). Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Roll out 1 disk of dough between two sheets of plastic or parchment paper into a 12-inch round that’s about ⅛ inch thick. Place it into a 9-inch pie pan and press to fit. Refrigerate until you are ready to add the filling.
- To make the filling, in a large bowl, combine the soaked and drained raisins, apple slices and the next 9 ingredients. Toss to coat. Transfer the apple mixture to the pastry-lined pie pan, mounding slightly in the center. Dot with the butter or substitute.
- Roll out the second crust as above. Cut designs or poke holes or slits to allow steam to escape.
- Place it on top of the filled pie. Crimp the edge. If desired, brush the pie with an egg wash and sprinkle with additional sugar. Refrigerate the prepared pie for 20-30 minutes prior to baking.
- Arrange a rack in the lowest slot of your oven. Preheat the oven to 375 ° F. Bake 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender, covering the edges loosely with aluminum foil if they become too dark.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cooled.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.