Gluten Free Apple Pie Parfait Recipe
There are times when being gluten free can be downright frustrating. For instance, let’s say you all of a sudden have an unquenchable craving for apple pie and yet you live in a town that is sadly remiss in having a gluten free bakery.
Sure you could make gluten free pie crust dough, wait an hour or two for it to chill, roll the dough, cut the apples, flavor them up, assemble it all together and put your pie in the oven for yet another hour and then you can (finally) quell your craving.
While I literally wrote a book on making gluten free desserts, even I don’t want to do that at 6:30PM on a Tuesday night after a long day’s work. So what’s a girl to do?
Make gluten free apple pie parfaits, that’s what! Sweet, cinnamony apple chunks layered with maple sweetened non-fat Greek Yogurt (for dairy free you could substitute dairy free sour cream or even dairy free ice cream) and a crunchy, gluten free graham cracker almond crumble.
This simple yet spectacular dessert takes about 20 minutes to prepare, perfect when you want an easy and light dessert that feels and tastes anything but – the perfect thing for when the hankering for apple pie strikes but you haven’t the time or energy to make one.
What really makes this parfait special is the crumble. Seriously, if you want any left to actually layer in your parfait hide it from the kids (and your spouse) until you finish up – otherwise it will all be nibbled away! I took some S’moreables (gluten free graham style crackers from Kinnikinnick) crushed them up coarsely, tossed the crumbs with some sliced almonds, coated with a bit of honey and a touch of oil and baked it for about 15 minutes. I am already thinking of anything and everything I can top with this awesome mix!!
Gluten Free Apple Pie Parfait Recipe
- 12 S'moreables (gluten free graham style crackers from Kinnikinnick)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed (or other neutral flavored) oil
- 4 large sweet apples (such as Fuji or Honeycrisp)
- Gluten-free nonstick cooking spray
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (non-fat, low fat or full fat)
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place your gluten-free graham crackers in a plastic bag and crush them until you have some crumbs and larger (about ¼ inch) pieces. Combine in a mixing bowl with the almonds, honey and oil. Toss until the honey and oil coat the crumbs and almonds. Spread in an even layer on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until the mixture is crisp, fragrant and browned – it will crisp up a little more as it cools and should be a little clumpy. Let cool.
- While the crumble is baking prepare the apples; core and cut into 1 inch chunks. Spray a large skillet with a lid with some gluten-free nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the apples, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and vanilla and toss well to coat. Cover the skillet and let cook until the apples are softened, about 8 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove the lid, increase heat to high and cook until the liquid has thickened up to a syrup and coats the apples. Let cool.
- Mix the yogurt with the maple syrup. For each parfait place a layer of apples into a goblet or dessert dish, top with some of the yogurt and then add a handful of the crumble. Repeat the layers. I think this is best served while the apples are still warm.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.