Gluten Free Dairy Free S’Mores Doughnuts Recipe
I have heard it said that all obsessions stem from some sort of deprivation early on in life; people obsessed with power often felt powerless, those obsessed with accumulating riches suffered poverty and so on. If this is true, then I obviously was the victim of a severe lack of S’Mores growing up. I have made gluten free recipes for S’Mores Cupcakes, Whoopie Pies, Tarts, Cheesecake and now Doughnuts.
Maybe my obsessive behavior would be better served (and my bank account fuller) if I had grown up in abject poverty but there are all different kinds of riches. So while my bank account may not be as flush as I would like, my wealth of gluten free S’Mores recipes is certainly abundant.
The only piece of specialized equipment you need to make these baked doughnuts is a couple doughnut pans. As a rule, I don’t like kitchen gadgets that have only one use. As an example, I don’t have a garlic press; I use my microplane grater instead – but I LOVE my doughnut pans! Trust me, the ability to make gluten free doughnuts at home, anytime you want, any way you want is an investment well worth the minimum expense.
This recipe starts with a gluten free, dairy free chocolate doughnut. These are rich, moist, chocolate-y and a very worthy treat all on their own. These come together quickly and can be simply dusted with some powdered sugar or drizzled with vanilla or chocolate glaze, but then they wouldn’t be “S’Mores Doughnuts.”
To transform these doughnuts into S’Mores, I frosted them with some Toasted Marshmallow Crème by Solo and sprinkled on some crushed gluten free graham style crackers.
The doughnuts can be baked ahead and stored in a food storage bag at room temperature for a day or so. I frost them when it’s time to eat them becaise the marshmallow crème stays fluffy for an hour or two. Also resist the urge to over-frost the doughnuts; you will end up with an ooey-gooey mess – albeit a delicious mess! The hubby actually loves the over-frosted doughnuts but he is more like an 8 year old boy than a grown man so if you have a bunch of 8 year old boys clamoring for doughnuts, you might consider over-frosting them anyway, despite my warnings.
So there you have it – thanks to my sadly S’Mores deprived childhood, I present to you my latest gluten free variation of this classic campfire treat.
Gluten Free Dairy Free S'Mores Doughnuts Recipe
- Gluten Free Non-stick cooking spray
- 1¼ cups good quality gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum*
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup grapeseed (or other neutral flavored) oil
- ¾ cup rice milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon leftover cold coffee (optional but adds depth of flavor)
- 4 gluten free graham style crackers
- ¾ cup Toasted Marshmallow Crème
- *if your gluten free flour blend does not include xanthan gum , add ½ teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray 2 (6 count) doughnut pans with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, oil, rice milk, vanilla and coffee. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Spoon the batter into the doughnut pans, filling each form about ¾ full. Bake for 7 – 9 minutes or until the doughnuts spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into a doughnut comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 2 -3 minutes, then remove to a baking rack to finish cooling completely. Can be made a day or two ahead.
- Place the graham style crackers in a small plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin until you have some larger pieces (about ¼ inch) and some crumbs. Place on a small plate.
- With a knife or small offset spatula, spread about 1 tablespoon of the Toasted Marshmallow Crème on the top of each doughnut, then dip into the crushed graham style crackers.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.
I love my donut pans too! Great way to get the most out of them with this delicious recipe. Yummo!
What a great idea to make s’mores doughnuts. These look awesome!!!
Be still my heart! I am coming to visit you pronto :)
OMG, I just bought Wilton donut pans. Thank you Carol – I will make them for our office party this Friday and make cream cheese icing (non dairy) and spread it on the donuts and then sprinkle the graham crumbs on top. Yummy!!!!!
I cannot wait to try these out. I don’t know how long they will last though once I do. These look crazy good!
Thanks Alaine – All I can say is they didn’t last long at my house!
Carol, I made these doughnuts today. They are absolutely, positively delicious!!!! I followed your recipe exactly, except I added some mini chocolate chips to the donut batter. Incredible. My husband ate 3 of them and passed on dinner!
Haha – my husband ate three of them too before I hid them from him! Glad you (and your hubby) enjoyed them!
The base chocolate donut was fantastic—I just did a regular glaze on them instead of the smores part. I did mine with the Ener-g egg substitute and they still came out fantastic. Thanks so much for this recipe. Chocolate donuts were my son’s favorite Saturday morning treat from our local farmer’s market and I felt bad when he couldn’t get them any more. He loved these (and so did the rest of us)!
Yay! So happy you and the familoy enjoyed them Maria!
These were so awesome! I cook for a 6 year old with a thyroid condition who is off gluten, dairy, sometimes soy and nightshades. We do our best to make her feel included but sometimes it’s difficult when we go to picnics or family gatherings. These will be my new go-to!! Thank you so much for the awesome recipe, it is so appreciated!
You’re very welcome! It makes me very happy when I hear things like that! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know :)
Pingback: Happy National Doughnut Day! |
Pingback: No Bake Sunbutter S’ Mores Bars Recipe | Simply Gluten Free
Pingback: Gluten Free S'Mores Whoopie Pies | Gluten Free Recipes | Diet | Blog
Pingback: 15 Dairy Free Recipes and Creative Showcase Link-up – Housewife Eclectic
Pingback: 50 Delicious and Dairy Free Recipes