Gluten-Free Gravy Recipe
Servings: 4 cups
- ¼ cup fat (meat drippings, butter, dairy-free butter, or olive oil)
- 2 medium white onions , diced
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 teaspoons dried seasoning (poultry seasoning or dried herbs)
- 4 cups gluten-free stock (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch , arrowroot starch, or tapioca starch
- Worcestershire sauce , to taste (omit for vegetarian and vegan)
- ¼ cup brandy or wine (white or red)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a large sauté pan cook the fat and the onions over medium low heat until the onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Do not rush this step; you want the onions well cooked.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and 1 teaspoon of whatever seasoning or dried herbs you are using. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Combine ¼ cup of stock with the starch and stir well. Add the remaining stock to the pan, raise the heat, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the starch and stock mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. If using brandy or wine, stir it in now.
- Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce if desired.
- Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning by adding more salt, pepper, seasoning, or herbs to taste. The gravy should be well seasoned.
- Stir in the cream now if using.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 251 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g40%
Vitamin A 736IU15%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.
Pingback: Recipes for Cooking a Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Dinner | The Sensory Spectrum
Pingback: Gluten Free Thanksgiving Menu | Find Me Gluten Free
Pingback: 8 Gluten-Free Recipes for a More Enjoyable Thanksgiving | Healthy Concepts with a Nutrition Bias
Pingback: Weekly Gluten-Free Menu Plan -- Gravy and Sauces
Pingback: Gluten Free Alsatian Brined Roast Turkey | GlutenFree Recipe | Simply Gluten Free
Pingback: Gluten Free Chocolate Whiskey Cream Pie