Gluten Free Better Than Waldorf Chicken Salad
A classic Waldorf Salad is made with apples, celery, walnuts, and mayonnaise and is served on a bed of lettuce. It is somehow simple and elegant at the same time. This Gluten Free Better Than Waldorf Chicken Salad is a great alternative.
This recipe originated somewhere around 1893. The original recipe apparently did not call for walnuts – just apples, celery, and mayonnaise. So even from the beginning, the classic Waldorf has been open to individual interpretation.
My version is nut free but has a nut-like element with the addition of a little Sunbutter mixed with the mayo. I love Sunbutter with apples and celery and grape jelly, so I figured, “why not?”
I like to add chicken to any variation I make of a Waldorf because it’s a great way to get in some extra protein.
I like this salad; it makes for a lovely lunch or light dinner on a hot night. I hope you enjoy it as well.
Gluten Free Better Than Waldorf Chicken Salad Recipe
- ½ cup crunchy Sunbutter
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 green apples skin on, cored and diced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes cut in half
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- Kosher or fine sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Butter lettuce cups
- In a small bowl, mix together the Sunbutter, mayonnaise, honey, and lemon juice.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chicken, apples, grapes, and celery. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in lettuce cups.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner’s. This blog accepts free manufacturers’ samples and forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. Affiliate links may be included in this post.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.