Gluten-Free Enchilada-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
While this may sound like a strange combination, the salty and savory profile of the enchilada mixture with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes is a complimentary pairing. These are perfect to make ahead for an easy vegetarian lunch or dinner. For additional protein, you can always top with some ground beef or chicken.
Enchilada-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup gluten-free enchilada sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1½ cups shredded cheese or dairy-free, divided
- ½ cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- ¼ cup green onions finely diced
- Avocado slices, sour cream, and salsa for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Using a fork, poke holes in the potatoes and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until tender and slightly soft. Let cool at least 10 minutes before slicing in half lengthwise. Gently scoop out filling, leaving a small border along the inside of the potato skins.
- Mash the potato filling with enchilada sauce, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Stir in beans, corn, and half the cheese, and spoon gently back into skins. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
To eat immediately:
- Place back in 400°F oven and cook for additional 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling around the edges. Top with fresh cilantro, green onion, and garnishes of choice.
To prepare and freeze:
- Once sweet potato halves are refilled, cover each with plastic wrap and foil tightly. Freeze in sealed container for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat from frozen:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Unwrap each potato half and place all halves in a baking dish. Cover dish with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until warmed throughout and the cheese begins to bubble around the edges. Top with fresh cilantro, green onion, and garnishes of choice.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.