Gluten-Free Springtime Lemon Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
This soup comes together faster than you could imagine with a few supermarket shortcuts like rotisserie chicken and pre-chopped veggies. In no time, you can have a perfect, healthy soup that’s light yet hearty and tastes as though it has been simmering for hours. And because the gnocchi cooks right in the same pot, the starch released while it is cooking adds a nice thickening and creaminess to the soup and eliminates the need for cream.
Springtime Lemon Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , diced* (buy pre-diced onions)
- 3 large carrots , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces* (or use about 2 cups baby carrots)
- 3 celery stalks , diced* (buy pre-diced celery)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves , minced* (buy jarred minced garlic)
- 6 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 (2- to 3-pound) gluten-free rotisserie chicken* (meat shredded; about 4-5 cups)
- 16 ounces gluten-free potato gnocchi
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach
- Juice of ½ medium lemon (cut other half into wedges to serve)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until simmering. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add broth, bay leaf, and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf and parsley. Add shredded chicken and gnocchi. Continue to simmer until gnocchi is al dente, about 3 minutes, or according to package instructions.
- Add spinach and lemon juice and cook until spinach wilts, 1-2 minutes. Season soup with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.