Gluten-Free Victoria Sponge Cake
Victoria Sponge Cake is a classic dessert originating in England. This Gluten-Free Victoria Sponge Cake is a classic English dessert originating in my kitchen! Enjoy!
Victoria Sponge Cake
Servings: 12 servings
For the cake:
- 2 cups (240 g) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (250 g) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 mL) milk, room temperature
For the filling:
- ¾ cup (180 mL) strawberry jam
- 1 cup (240 mL) heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons (24 g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with gluten-free nonstick spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the butter and caster sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed to make sure there isn’t any butter stuck to the bottom. Add the vanilla extract and milk and mix until completely incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans and smooth into an even layer. Bake for 22-26 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake and dry out the cakes.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for 20 minutes, then remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
- When the cake is completely cooled, make the whipped cream by adding the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Spread the strawberry jam in an even layer over the cake, leaving about half an inch from the edge. Then top with the whipped cream. Gently place the next cake layer on top of the cake and dust the top with some powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
For cleaner slicing, fill the cake with jam and serve the cake with the whipped cream on top or serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream.
Victoria Sponge Cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 487 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 16g80%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 929IU19%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.