Christmas Queso Recipe
In New Mexico they have what they call Christmas enchiladas, enchiladas with red and green sauce. That was the inspiration for this delicious Christmas Queso. Topped with red bell peppers and a trio of green peppers, this queso is the perfect appetizer for your holiday party.
Why was I thinking about New Mexico when I live in Florida? Well, because one of the peppers I used was Hatch brand diced chiles and this type of chili pepper is from New Mexico.
This queso can be made with or without the jalapeño, depending on your heat preference. You can also make these extra festive by serving them with red and green corn tortilla chips (Xochitl makes these) or with slices of raw red and green sweet peppers for dipping.
Get more gluten-free holiday entertaining recipes.
Gluten-Free Christmas Queso Recipe
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 jalapeño , diced – optional
- ½ white onion , diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1 cup milk , more if needed
- 2 (4 ounce) cans Hatch diced green chiles, mild or hot
- ¾ pound grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Place the poblano and red bell peppers over a gas flame or under the broiler and roast, turning often, until the skin is blackened. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin, remove the seeds and veins, and chop. Combine with the jalapeño, onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the Hatch chilies and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the milk, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Add a little milk if too thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the queso in a serving dish and top with the pepper salsa. Serve with chips or vegetables.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.