Gluten-Free Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are the epitome of kid-friendly food, but what adult doesn’t also love a good Sloppy Joe sandwich? I know I do! But I no longer use the canned Sloppy Joe sauce – I make my own. It’s healthier, easy, and just as delicious if not more so. If you’re looking for a classic recipe for these beloved sandwiches, try my Gluten-Free Sloppy Joes.
For the sauce, I used tomato sauce, beef broth, Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and my secret ingredient that adds extra vitamins and minerals into your children’s diet: ChildLife Essentials Children’s Multi Vitamin & Mineral. It’s a liquid supplement that I simply stir into the sauce when it’s done cooking. This supplement has a lovely orange mango flavor, which complements the sauce and adds a bit of sweetness, so the brown sugar is optional.
Another way to add more vitamins and nutrients into Sloppy Joes is to sneak in more vegetables – diced bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, etc. Dice them small enough and your children won’t notice them.
Get more gluten-free kid-friendly recipes.
Gluten-Free Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium white or yellow onion , diced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup gluten free beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar , optional
- Kosher or fine sea salt , to taste
- 8 teaspoons ChildLife Multi Vitamin & Mineral
- 4 gluten free hamburger buns
- Hamburger pickle slices
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in the beef and add the onions. Cook, breaking up the beef, until the onions are soft and the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook. Stirring for another 30 seconds. Drain the fat from the pan.
- Add the tomato sauce, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar, if using. Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the sauce is very thick, 6-8 minutes. Stir in the ChildLife Multi Vitamin & Mineral.
- Serve on hamburger buns with pickle slices.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.