This Classic Pavlova is a naturally gluten-free dessert made with three simple ingredients: egg whites, sugar, and vanilla. Top it with homemade whipped cream or dairy-free whipped cream and fresh berries for a stunning dessert.
For the pavlova:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup (200 g) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) pure vanilla extract
For the toppings:
- Homemade whipped cream (or dairy-free whipped cream)
- Fresh berries
- Fresh mint leaves , for garnish
- Lemon zest , for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on medium-high speed using a handheld or stand mixer.
- Add in the granulated sugar slowly – it should take 2-3 minutes to add all the sugar. Once all the sugar is added, add the vanilla extract and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and use a spoon or offset spatula to create a well in the center.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until the pavlova is firm and dry in the center but not brown on top.
- Turn off the oven and leave the pavlova to cool inside – about 1-2 hours.
- Pipe or spoon the whipped cream onto the cooled pavlova and top with fresh berries, mint leaves, and lemon zest. Enjoy immediately.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.