Beer Bread Muffins
Beer Bread Muffins are a buttery, savory muffin with a drop biscuit consistency and flavored with gluten-free beer. They’re wonderful paired with comfort foods like chili, soups, or stews.
Gluten-Free Beer Bread Muffins
- 4 cups (610 g) gluten-free Bisquick
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) granulated sugar (see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) kosher or fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) shortening or butter
- 12 ounces gluten-free beer (see notes)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) milk
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a standard muffin pan with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the Bisquick, sugar (if using), and salt to a large bowl. Whisk together until combined. Use a fork (a pastry cutter or your fingers work great too!) to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients. Work the shortening in until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the beer and mix to combine. Stir in the milk, as needed, to get a wet enough consistency that the dough will hold together (similar to biscuits).
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions in the muffin pan and smooth out the tops.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and brush with the melted butter. Continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes or until baked all the way through.
- When the muffins are done, tilt them in the pan to let some of the steam release and prevent condensation from forming on the bottom. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Gluten free Bisquick contains sugar as one of the ingredients, unlike regular Bisquick. Feel free to omit it altogether or add up to ¼ cup if you prefer a sweet beer bread.
- Be sure to use gluten-free beer, not gluten-removed beer. For this recipe, I used a Belgian White Ale from GhostFish Brewing Company.
- Beer Bread Muffins are best served warm out of the oven. To reheat leftovers, wrap in aluminum foil and heat in the oven.
- Store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container up to 2 days. They can also be frozen.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.