If you’re on a low-carb diet but you’ve got to have your sushi fix, might I suggest this fun, delicious, and rice-free version of sushi? This Cucumber Sushi is a low-carb way of enjoying sushi and it’s so much easier than rolling it!
This light and fresh sushi alternative is made with simple ingredients like cucumber, imitation crab, avocado, carrot, and cream cheese – it’s a California roll, essentially – minus the rice and nori. Make sure the imitation crab you buy is gluten-free! For the dipping sauce, simply combine rice vinegar, sesame oil, chopped green onion, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, and San-J 25% Less Sodium Tamari for a delectable sauce that complements the sushi and is just the right amount of salty.
This is my new favorite way to enjoy the flavors of sushi without the extra time of rolling them and the extra carbs from the rice. Delish!
Get more gluten-free Asian-inspired recipes.
Gluten-Free Cucumber Sushi
- ¼ cup San-J 25% Less Sodium Tamari
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 green onion , finely chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sesame seeds
- 2 large cucumbers
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese
- 1 (8-ounce package) gluten-free imitation crab
- 2 avocados , cut into strips
- 1 carrot , peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Combine the tamari, vinegar, and sesame oil. Mix well. Pour into dipping dishes and top with the green onion, red pepper flakes, and sesame seeds.
- Cut the cucumbers in thirds widthwise and scoop out the seeds with a butter knife or small spoon, creating hollow tubes.
- Cut the cream cheese into strips as long as the cucumber lengths and stuff into the cucumber pieces. Continue to fill the cucumbers with the crab, avocado, and carrot. Slice into rounds and serve with the dipping sauce.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.