Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
This Pumpkin Mac & Cheese is a decadent mac and cheese that is so easy to put together. The pumpkin adds the perfect holiday flavor and is a great pairing to your holiday main course. You can make the recipe ahead of time up to a few hours in advance and then bake it right before you are ready to serve it.
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package gluten-free elbow macaroni
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter , plus more for the baking dish
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese , grated
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese , grated
- 1 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Generously butter a 9x13-inch glass baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta. Cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to the pot. Add butter and toss until pasta is coated and all the butter has melted. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add evaporated milk, milk, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and eggs. Whisk together until the eggs are blended into the mixture. Set aside.
- Place a third of the cooked noodles in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover noodles evenly with a third of each of the grated cheeses. Repeat two more times with remaining noodles and cheeses. Pour milk mixture evenly over top. If making ahead, stop here and set aside up to 2 hours until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, sprinkle the top cheese layer evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, until the top layer is lightly browned, and cheese is starting to bubble, 35-45 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes to set slightly before serving.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.