Apple Cupcakes with Sweet Potato Frosting & Caramel Drizzle
For the frosting:
- 2 cups peeled, chopped sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
For the cupcakes:
- 2½ cups (240 grams) blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium apple, such as Gala or
- Fuji, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
For the caramel drizzle:
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (full fat)
Make the frosting:
- Bring an inch or so of water to simmer over medium heat in a small pot fitted with a steamer basket.
- Add the sweet potatoes.
- Cover and steam over medium heat until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 10 minutes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Add the remaining frosting ingredients and puree until creamy and smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the frosting to a shallow bowl and refrigerate until completely chilled and firm, about 1 hour.
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line 12 cups of a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, and grated apple.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Divide the batter evenly among the lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
Make the caramel drizzle:
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pot over low heat.
- Whisk in the coconut sugar and maple syrup.
- Cook, whisking, until the mixture bubbles rapidly.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to whisk while bringing the sauce to a rapid bubble.
- Cook at a rapid bubble for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool for 2-3 minutes, then drizzle the sauce over the frosted cupcakes.
- Refrigerate the cupcakes for at least 30 minutes to set the caramel or until ready to serve.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Gluten Free & More are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.