Simple & Spectacular Split Pea Soup Recipe
This thick, satisfying soup offers classic smoky split pea flavor and texture via the addition of liquid smoke. And since split peas are naturally high in protein, there’s no ham required!
Vegan Simple & Spectacular Split Pea Soup
- 2 pounds dried split peas I used green, but yellow are fine, too
- 6 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 medium or 2 large carrots diced
- 6 sundried tomatoes diced
- ½-1 teaspoon liquid smoke see note
- Kosher or fine sea salt to taste
- Rinse the peas and place them in a large pot covered with filtered water. Soak the peas for 4-6 hours, then drain, rinse, and drain again. Return them to the pot and add the broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas are soft and begin to break up, and the soup has reached the desired thickness, about 90 minutes. (I like mine quite thick; if you prefer a lighter soup, add more broth or water as it cooks down). This soup also works well in the slow cooker set on low for 8-10 hours. Can be frozen.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.