Gluten-Free 10-Minute Black Bean Tacos Recipe
A few store-bought conveniences make this speedy dinner possible. Canned black beans are an instant source of protein – they just need some basic pantry spices to liven them up. These tacos are a satisfying meatless meal, just right for a hectic weeknight.
10-Minute Black Bean Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large onion , diced* (buy pre-diced onions)
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt , plus more as needed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed*
- ¼ cup water
- 8 gluten-free corn tortillas
- 1 bag cabbage slaw or shredded cabbage*
- 1 medium avocado , sliced
- 1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese , optional*
- Jarred salsa*
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until simmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and salt. Add beans and water.
- Cover pan and reduce heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then uncover and use the back of a fork to partially mash the beans, leaving some whole. Simmer, uncovered, until all the water is evaporated, about 30 seconds. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed.
- Cover tortillas with a damp paper towel and microwave in 30-second intervals until warm.
- Fill the tortillas with the black bean mixture and top with slaw or cabbage, avocado, cheese (if using), and salsa. Serve with lime wedges.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.