Melomakarona (Greek Honey Walnut Biscuits) Recipe
This is my mum Sofia’s famous melomakarona recipe, which has won many Greek ‘bake offs’ during the festive season. Her delicious honey walnut biscuits feature an aromatic mix of clove, cinnamon, cognac, and orange zest, and are stuffed with crushed walnuts for added texture.
Although these are traditionally served around Christmastime, there’s never a wrong time to eat these! Try a test run of this recipe now, then you’ll be prepared to make a perfect batch to share with family and friends when the holidays arrive.
Melomakarona (Greek Honey Walnut Biscuits)
For the biscuits:
- 1 cup sunflower or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 5 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Crushed walnuts , for sprinkling
For the walnut filling:
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the honey syrup:
- 1½ cups raw honey
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- ½ cup water
- 5 cloves
- Lemon wedge
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine oil, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and cognac in a large bowl and mix with your hands or a spoon to dissolve the sugar.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Slowly add flour mixture into wet mixture until you form a soft, pliable dough. You will need to use your hands to shape the dough at the end. If your dough is too sticky, add more flour. Roll dough into 2½-inch flat rounds; you should have about 30.
- Combine walnut filling ingredients in a small bowl. Place a teaspoon of walnut filling in the center of each dough round and fold over to seal. Roll into a smooth log and shape into an oval or diamond. Create a crisscross indent on top of the biscuits by pressing with a fork or knife.
- Bake the biscuits for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
- While the biscuits are baking, prepare the syrup by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmering for a few minutes. Skim the surface with a spoon to remove solids/residue.
- Dunk slightly cooled biscuits in warm syrup for 5 seconds. Remove, set on a tray, and sprinkle with extra walnuts.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.