Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Alfredo
This Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Alfredo is made with sweet potatoes, not traditional pasta! It’s grain-free, vegetarian, and vegan, too!
To make, you’ll need a mandoline or spiralizer (unless you’ve got some serious knife skills). These are two kitchen staples I have in my house to turn veggies, like zucchini and sweet potatoes, into delicious noodles. It’s like Play-Doh for adults – and we get to eat the art.
Sweet Potato Alfredo
- 3 large sweet potatoes , peeled and spiralized
- 10 stalks asparagus
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 1 batch Vegan Alfredo Sauce (see below)
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Peel and spiralize the sweet potatoes into thin noodles. Chop the woody ends off asparagus and discard. Chop the asparagus into bite-sized chunks.
- In a skillet, add 2 teaspoons (10 mL) coconut oil and bring to medium-high heat. Add baby spinach and chopped asparagus and cook until the spinach has wilted and the asparagus has turned bright green, about 3-5 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining coconut oil to skillet and add spiralized sweet potato noodles. Cook on medium-high heat, until sweet potato noodles begin to soften and are almost al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour vegan alfredo sauce into pan and toss to combine. Continue cooking sweet potatoes until sauce has thickened and the noodles are al dente, about 8 minutes. Add splashes of water to thin the sauce, if desired. Add the sautéed spinach and asparagus to the dish, along with the chopped sun-dried tomatoes, and mix to combine. Scoop noodles into bowls and serve.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and strained*
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- In a blender, add soaked/strained cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, water, onion powder (if using), and salt. Blend until creamy and smooth.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.